Friday, March 5, 2010

InDesignCS3

I have used Adobe InDesign before, however, it was mostly in CS2. I am much more familiar with Photoshop and Illustrator, but I have made magazine layouts and booklets before with InDesign. I learned a lot of new tricks that would really help me design more quickly. I can remember times when I had to manually move my text around a picture. I will briefly summarize what I have learned from these six videos.

I was familiar with how the direct selection and selection tools work. It is different from other programs the way the frame resizes and the image doesn't. I also find it useful for me to group objects when I am trying to keep certain images together. I think I would use the optical curning to adjust the spacing between my text and try the optical margin if I had a story. I find the style sheets to be extremely use full when working with a large amount of body copy. It seems as though many new buttons have made it very simple to use features such as bullet points and numbering text. It is useful how InDesign will know to keep the numbers in order if you insert of delete a bullet point. With the text wrap there are so many options that are accessible to you with just clicking different buttons. When you have text covering an image it can be difficult to make it flow just as you wanted, however, now you can choose different alignments and it will change the placement. I would use the detect edges feature for the text to be close to image and follow the outline. It can be hard when you are working with so many different pages, but if you mange your pages well you will find it to be easier. The speaker recommended to go to the panel options and turn off "show vertically", this way you will be able to see all your pages side by side.

The last speaker with managing pages was my favorite, I felt he was very clear and had a good pace. I found the speaker for the text wrap to be too fast and the speaker for text styles hard to understand because of the lisp. The woman speaker for making selections was good, however, I preferred the more calm and clear male voice. I found the text wrap and text styles videos to be most helpful. There is so much to learn when it comes to working with multiple page documents. It is best if you make the style sheets early in the beginning so you can change whole sections of type to the way you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment